RETIREMENT & RETENTION
Players finish playing for many reasons: age, injury, family commitments,
business and vocational goals, etc... For the game to develop and for the next
generation to benefit from the knowledge and support of those who have gone
before, there are many areas where ex-players can ‘put something back’:
Potential roles open to ex-players include:
• Official/administrator - become an active member of a club, region, branch,
union or group either as a volunteer or paid position.
• Development - become involved in player and/or coach development by
undertaking education as a coach, tutor or mentor.
• Referee - become involved in refereeing/officiating and or referee
development by undertaking education as a referee, coach or assessor.
• Promote rugby by relaying positive personal experiences and highlighting the
‘spirit of rugby’ as a parent, friend, relative, teacher, sponsor etc.., .
• Enjoy rugby as a supporter, contributing to the identity and social aspects of
rugby at all levels.